There are many easy-to-guess advantages to moving consciousness to a machine platform. If/when "we" as a society become machine-based beings:
- We will be able to move from one body to another with the same ease we biology-based beings now change vehicles.
- We will be able to live and work in the vacuum of space without having to take along a very-hard-to-maintain bubble of pressurized air.
- We will be able to travel on a beam of electro-magnetic energy to far-away worlds where spare bodies have been shipped.
- And those faraway worlds will not need to have a biosphere, or have bubbles of biosphere constructed/cultivated.
- In like fashion, we will be able to move to and from orbits and Lagrange points where bodies have been previously placed.
While this is not by any means a complete list, there are likely to be many less
obvious advantages, too. This one for example:
We will be able to have multiple independent bodies, each with its own short-term situational memories
, working off of a single set of long-term experiential memories
that have been accumulated over time.
Consider multiple bodies working in a manufacturing environment, each working off of a single experienced individual's learning and acquired expertise in manufacturing processes. Each maintaining its own short-term memories which will form and decay quickly to respond to the fine-grained details of its immediate individual situation
It may even be possible that the single individual's long-term experiential
memory may be able to continue to gain learning from each body's short-term situational
connections as they form and decay in response to their own current situations.